The Desert Alphabet Book
by Jerry Pallotta
Learn about the parched, mysterious deserts of the world with this alphabet array of plants, animals, and phenomena. Meet the colorful Crimson Chat, the deadly Inland Taipan, and the cartwheeling Golden Wheel Spider. Look beneath and beyond the sand for familiar, unfamiliar, and comical desert dwellers.
Author Jerry Pallotta and illustrator Mark Astrella invite readers to one of nature's most forbidding environments. And if you feel thirsty after reading about some of the driest places on earth, don't worry. There's a Water-holding frog!
Use this book as a fun way to introduce a unit study of deserts or geography to your child!
Make sure to see our ideas below on creative ways to use this book with your children, engaging all eight multiple intelligence skills.Book Details:
- Number of Pages: 32
- Book Size: 10" x 8"
- Book Type: Paperback
- Recommended Ages: 4-8
- ISBN: 0-88106-472-6
- ISBN: 978-0-88106-472-8
We have the entire collection of Jerry Pallotta alphabet books in stock! That's a lotta Pallotta!
The alphabet books by Jerry Pallotta are not your typical alphabet book! These books are fun for children and are full of interesting facts.
What other things can you do with this product?
We've included some of our "outside the box" creative ideas below to help get you started...
For more unique ideas, go to our Free Resources for Parents and Educators
- For linguistic skills, use this book for spelling practice! After reading the book, have your children write the letters of the alphabet down the side of a piece of paper (one letter for each line). When you say a word from the book for each letter, have your child write that word. This is also a fun way to practice handwriting.
- For spatial skills, use this book to inspire young artists! Have your children draw a picture from the book. Encourage them to come up with their own designs and colors, and remind them that their drawing doesn't have to look exactly like what they see in the book.
- For logical/mathematical skills, have children see if they can spot patterns within the pictures of the book. Can they spot symmetry within the drawings?
- For kinesthetic skills, have your child pretend to be whatever is listed for each letter of the alphabet. Encourage them to move their entire body.
- For music skills, have your child create a tune to sing the paragraphs of information to. They'll remember this information better if put to song!
- For naturalist skills, use this book as a starting place for research and reports on the subject matter. If using this book at home, have your children choose a letter of the alphabet and then guide them to do research and further reading about the subject pictured for that letter. If using this book in a classroom, assign one letter to each student. Encourage your child to share and
read their report to others (great for practicing interpersonal and intrapersonal skills).
- Combine this book with the great products listed below for a unit study lesson that will engage all intelligences!